Code of conduct
The rules boil down to this: DON'T BE A DICK. The below serves as a more specific Code of Conduct.
This is not a legal document.
Nothing in this document is or should be construed as legal advice. We're not lawyers.
- These are our rules. Failure to adhere to this will result in warnings, silencing, or blocking.
- This site is moderated. This is not a free speech zone. There are other instances devoted to this if you disagree with our policies.
- Interpretation is entirely up to us.
- Remote users and instances are held to these standards, and may be filtered from the federated timeline or blocked at our discretion.
- We reserve the right to silence or ban anyone for any reason not in the rules, or to proactively do so.
- These rules apply not only to posts, but also to boosts, favourites, bios, or anything else that involves interaction with the site.
Banned forms of conduct
These forms of conduct are not permitted and will result in being blocked:
- Excessive advertising or spamming
- Flooding or similarly disruptive posting
- Badly-behaved or malicious bots, including bots that do not respect #nobot tags in user profiles
- Stalking, harassment, or bullying
- Threatening or advocating any grievous bodily or emotional harm
- Promotion of authoritarian or undemocratic forms of rule, including fascism and Stalinism
- Denial or scepticism that documented genocides, pogroms, or purges, have taken place
- Content that is prohibited in Japan, any European Union country, or the United States of America
- Any sexual content (including artistic content) depicting anyone under 18, rape, or sexual assault
- Consistent patterns of bad-faith trolling
- Unauthorised distribution of any personal information or data
- Attempting to abuse the code of conduct, pursuing an issue that has been resolved to our satisfaction, pettifogging, or rule lawyering
- Any other bad-faith behaviour, at our discretion
Conduct filtered from the public timeline
The following forms of conduct will be removed from the public timeline if seen (and will result in a block if the behaviour persists or worsens):
- Racial or ethnic slurs, if not part of a pattern of otherwise banned behaviour
- Uncivil, uncouth, rude, or bad-faith behaviour
- Refusing to end debate after being asked by the other party
- Bots that republish content without the permission of the original creators
- Untagged explicit content (use the NSFW tag)
- Links to pirated content, or instructions on how to commit piracy
- Advocating or promoting illegal acts
- Advocating extreme violence or armed insurrection
- Political extremism not otherwise prohibited
- Any other unwanted behaviour that is not necessarily in bad-faith but not desired on this instance, at our discretion
The Interlinked Foundation aims to have full compliance with the GDPR. If there are any deficiencies or questions please let us know.
What we store
This is a summary of the information we store.
Information stored about local and remote users
- Display names
- Information text ("bio")
- Customised metadata fields
- Avatars and background images
- User media
Information stored only about local users
- Personal language preferences
- User default post privacy and media sensitivity settings
- Email addresses
- UI preferences
- Last known IP address
- Clients who have accessed the server
- Block and mute lists
How long we keep your information
Until deleted by the user or an administrator
- Account metadata
- User preferences
- User media
- Last accessed IP
No more than 3 months
- Server access logs
- Remote media
What we do with your information
- Your information will never be given to any third parties without your consent, aside from other Mastodon instances we federate with (this is inherent to how Mastodon works)
- Your information will not be given to any law enforcement without a court order
- All posts, media, and your user metadata (but not preferences or block lists, but notification you have blocked someone is sent to remote instances)
- We will never analyse or review your personal information, not even access logs, without your consent (this may be to verify you own an account or such)
- You may delete your account at any time, and all of your data will be instantly and irrevocably deleted
Where we store your data
We store all user data except media on a PostgreSQL database within our internal network, only accessible from the web server. Media are stored in an Amazon S3 bucket in the United States only accessible to Interlinked. Access logs are in the form of log files. Other instances who receive any of your aforementioned data may store your data in other forms.
User data retrieval
All of your data should be exportable from the preferences page.
The Interlinked Foundation is a non-profit 501(c)(3) exempt organisation incorporated in Oklahoma. The Interlinked Foundation is required to inform you that we are not authorised to issue capital stock.